December 2009




Name Of Column Author Title Article Type
News Views Pat Sanders Food & Adapting News & Events
VoicePoints M K Benjamin MA CCC-SLP Rehabilitation after Laryngectomy Education-Med
Travel With Larys Terry Duga You Say Gra-nay-dah Travel
Practically Speaking Elizabeth Finchem ES Air Intake Education  
WW Guest Columnist Ronda Kirk Support & Survival Experience
The Speechless Poet Len Hynds To Be An Actor Poetry
Tibits Of Interest Jack Jkac Life Is Good Travel
New Members Listing Welcome News & Events





Terry Duga wrote a running journal of his view of the WW Cruise to the Southern Caribbean (see "Travel with Larys" below). He often mentions the food of the day and his descriptions of some made me remember the meals themselves. If there is anything cruises are known for... it's food in the morning, food at night, food in the dining room, out by the pool, the pizzeria, the grill, in the buffet, at the different shops and, by the time I finished editing the article, I decided to write about Food.


Food and Adapting


I am a slow eater. I chew, swallow, and enjoy but, at home, if I make a large salad with mixed raw veggies, nuts, greens, some fruit and left over chicken, I prop up a book and read for an hour while I eat. I have to take my time. I find ways to adapt to this because I am so grateful that I can eat regular foods, even if slowly. Foods are disappearing from my list gradually. For instance, raw carrots are now cooked unless they are chopped well, but I can get carrot juice if I want the health benefits of eating raw carrots.

Alas! In a restaurant, I am at the table just a little bit too long for the server to like it and if I am eating with others, I order something that goes down easy because, when I look up and see others with clean plate and a waiter hovering to take away the empties, I might as well pack it up. I am not just looking at the menu for "soft" foods but easier to eat foods that are not dry. No matter how many sips of water I take, foods that are cooked with moisture go down easier for me than dry ones. For instance, noodles slip and slide compared to rice, unless it has a gravy.

Many laryngectomees have surgery or radiation making it difficult to swallow because of a narrowed esophagus but some larys have lost molars to radiation or age so the swallowing might be easy but you can't chew it well. Somewhere in one of my cabinets, I have a small, individual service size, food chopper. I need to find that and try some favorite foods in it. It adds another step to preparation but it might help when I have a craving for pot roast, which can require more chewing even if cooked to tenderness.

If you are having any difficulties along this line, please remember that we have a section in our Library on the website called Food, Nutrition, Recipes. You will find hints in there as well as some easy ways of cooking soft foods.

Choose to read about Soups, Soft Foods or Crock-Pot Recipes, along with others. Maybe it will help you and me to adapt to new ways.


Pat W Sanders
WebWhispers President



VoicePoints written by professionals 

Coordinated by Meaghan Kane Benjamin, M.A., CCC-SLP





Total Rehabilitation after Total Laryngectomy

Meaghan Kane Benjamin, MA CCC-SLP

On December 31st of this year, it will be the 136th anniversary since Theodore Billroth of Vienna, on December 31, 1873, carried out the first successful total laryngectomy for a patient with laryngeal cancer. Many things have changed since that time including the team medical approach to the treatment of patients that undergo a total laryngectomy.

The best care involves a team approach involving a medical team. This article highlights some of the specific interactions that typically require the involvement of both the SLP and MD in order to have the most effective outcome.

Focus of treatment should be for the Whole Patient. This would involve ongoing patient education, pulmonary rehabilitation, communication, problem solving & quality of life issues.

It is important to identify end goals with the patient. These would typically include that the patient be cancer free, independent and able to functionally communicate in a way that they are most comfortable. It would also include that the patient have full acceptance of their new way of communicating and breathing. The ultimate goal is that the patient function at the same level or higher than prior to surgery. These goals can only be met if a collegial and collaborative relationship exists between the patient, the MD & the SLP.

What are the goals of preoperative education? It is to establish a rapport, provide a general overview of impact of total laryngectomy on function of patient; overview of the rehabilitation process and initiation of a functional communication alternative. It is important for that a proper process that ensures patients have access to preoperative education is established at each institution.

Immediate post operative care should include patient & family education, education of the medical staff involved in patient care, introduction of pulmonary rehabilitation & functional communication alternative. This should be provided in conjunction with medical management from the physician and inpatient medical team.

Pulmonary Rehabilitation should be initiated with all patients as soon as possible. The number one complaint of laryngectomy patients in a QOL study was mucus production. This process should be initiated by the SLP and followed up by both MD and rest of Medical Team. The goals should be to replace some function of upper airway; less use of moist air and suction; engagement of the patient in their postoperative stomal care and to help nursing distinguish between a laryngectomy patient and trach patients as well as to establish autonomy.

Functional Communication must involve the patient in the education of choices for communication. This does not need to be limited to just one option. The patient should be educated on the electrolarynx, TEP, esophageal speech as well as writing.

Considerations for primary puncture for TEP should include a discussion between the SLP & MD as well as discussions between the patient and the medical team. There are advantages and disadvantages to having a primary puncture and it is often the experience of the Medical team as well as the many patient factors regarding the appropriateness of having a primary puncture. It is important that all parties have an open dialogue regarding each patient to determine the best approach for that patient.

If patient will be best managed with a secondary puncture, it is important that the patient have a form of functional communication that they can use quickly. This will make it easier for them to manage at home, get questions answered and interact with family members.

Electrolarynx training should be introduced during preoperative care and reintroduced immediately post operatively. Remember that the patient must be part of their communication choice. It is important to be able to model the different types of devices to allow the patient to have a choice in preference as well as to be sure that the best device is matched with each patient individually. Electrolarynx use requires training as well as patience by both new user and listener. There are patients that are introduced to the EL that are not interested in using it. It is our job as skilled clinicians to provide proper education for patients so that they can make an educated decision. It is important that the patient remain as autonomous as possible during this process as they do have a choice.

Esophageal speech is something that should be introduced as a viable communication option. Ideally the clinician has training in this area of alaryngeal communication. Videotapes or live meetings between a new patient and and established esophageal speaker is typically helpful. Again, it is important that the patient have a viable communication alternative while learning esophageal speech. It is also important that ongoing support for the patient is provided by all members of the medical team.

It is important that all members of the Medical Team provide education and support through this difficult process. It is also important to recognize that rehabilitation is for the whole patient and not just at getting rid of cancer. Finally, being a good listener to your patient will help you work with them by using your expertise to meet their needs.





You Say Gra-nay-dah and I say Gra-nah-dah

Terry Duga's Report on the WebWhispers Cruise 2009

Saturday, October 24, 2009


For once I don’t have to get up at gosh awful in the morning. I had originally booked months in advance, non-stop flights on Air Tran with a good price and great schedule. Then the changes started until it was the last straw. I cancelled Air Tran and switched to Southwest. I am more and more impressed with Southwest as I use it. The price, when you consider the cost of baggage on Air Tram was equivalent. The schedule worked, and the plane was on time. The people on Southwest are friendly. I am glad that we are going out of Seattle for the next cruise. Southwest flies there. And, no, I do not work for Southwest, nor am I paid, in any way, by them. I just appreciate how they operate.

In Ft. Lauderdale, my bags are among the first to come out the chute, both of them. A good sign. I call the Quality Inn and get the info on the shuttle, which comes quickly. I check in, go to the bar/grill by the pool, and get a drink with a large, and quite good, burger. While I eat, I hear the tones of a Cooper-Rand. Some WWers are there. It is DiAnna and Don Miller from Las Vegas. We chat while I have a second beverage. Finally, I head for the room. Tomorrow we take a shuttle to the ship and start the adventure.

Sunday, October 25, 2009: Boarding the ship

The day starts with herding cats. Thank goodness I am not the herdsperson. The nice ladies working with KAS Tours are working the crowded hotel lobby getting people to the shuttle buses that will take them to ships, planes and parts unknown. We have a complimentary breakfast of biscuits and gravy, waffles, cereal, fruit, various breads, cheese and beverages. Not a bad breakfast for a Quality Inn, sort of in the middle of Choice hotels (and I do like the chain when I travel). Finally about 12:45 our ride arrives.

A hop and a jump and we are at the dock. New waiting begins. The porters take my big bags and I get in the line, which winds slowly, filled with people ready to cruise. I see Len and Maryann Librizzi. I get to my room about 2 pm. A quick unpack of my carryon suitcase, and I am ready for the Lido Deck (things happen on the Lido Deck). I run into Barb Chapman and Yvette, then I see Ed. Things are coalescing. I grab a lite bite with them, head back to my room, but run into Peggy. She tells me where Pat is sitting, so I head back to visit and grab an iced tea. My bags are in my room, so I get things unpacked. Then it is muster drill. Muster drill is required by law. You grab your life jacket and head to your assigned muster station. We used to have to stand on deck but, now, we go to a lounge and sit to get instructed in the ways of the life vest. Of course, if we do have to abandon ship and we don’t get into a boat, we are screwed. So it goes.

At 5:30, we gather outside the Michelangelo “anytime” dining room. We have three tables reserved so we can all dine, chat over dinner, and renew friendships.. I have the lobster and shrimp pate, the portabella mushroom soup and the panfried perch. It is quite nice and not too heavy. The ship is moving out as we dine. After dinner, Steve Bishop, from the UK, and I walk to the theater to see the welcoming show. The dancers and singers are quite good and the comedian is fine. On deck we look forward and see lightning peaking in the darkness. A little exploration to the top of the ship, the Skywalker’s Lounge and walk down through the Lido deck and it is time to go to my cabin and relax. I have a drink on the balcony, read a little, then work on my log so I keep up.

Monday, October 26, 2009: Our first day at sea

Lox makes me happy. I must confess that I consider Salmon to be an adequate fish. I know that it is good for you and many people think it is the end of all sea foods. I have never tried it fresh in Washington state or Alaska. I think it is adequate, though not my favorite (Ed Chapman can relax now, no more slight slurs on his fish). You smoke that sucker and slice it thin, however, and it becomes another thing entirely – LOX. I get lox once or twice a year. Usually on cruises. Today, the first day at sea, the breakfast buffet had lox. A toasted bagel, a smear of cream cheese and several slices of lox topped with onion (no, I don’t do the capers, so sue me) and Terry is a happy person. Just ask Peggy, Pat and Steve Bishop, with whom I had breakfast. Of course I sampled eggs, bacon, link sausage and “hash browns” too. Bacon is a food additive that makes everything better. I will forego the hash browns and sausage in the future.

After breakfast, Pat and I take a fast tour of the ship. We start at the very top (Deck 19) the jogging deck, walk it and work our way down. The theory is that it is easier to walk down stairs than up. We visit the spa and see the exercise room, we visit the meditation room (chapel) we go to the promenade deck and see the shops and the atrium. We walk through the various bars. My co-commissioner, Betsy, is in the Fusion Bar with her friends taking linedancing lessons. Pat has her iPhone and takes pictures (I didn’t have my camera with me). Pat splits to set up email and I stroll around some more and sample a small waffle. It is really good. The day promises to be hot, but the movement of the ship helps create a breeze that keeps you cooler.

For lunch, I head to the Wheelhouse Lounge. They are serving English Pub style food, bangers and mash, fish and chips, cottage pie (read shepherds pie). I try the fish and chips. As I am finishing, the Armani’s come and join me for the fish and chips. Rachel asks me what the green, clay like, blob on the plate is. I tell her it is mushy peas. She asks how they taste, I give that look that says how the heck should I know. No one tries them.

Walking the ship some more before ending by the pool to hear a quartet– a bass, a guitar and two lady singers. There is recorded under music. They are nice to hear while I enjoy the pool and people watching. After their set, I get my book and return to hear the next set before going to the room to relax a bit and clean up for dinner. Tonight is the first of the big shows in the theater. It is also the first dress up night, something that I missed. I seem to have not read the memo. Fortunately, I did shower before changing into dinner clothes. I just put on a little more casual clothes than I would have otherwise. But, I throw on my blue blazer and I am ready enough.


Movies Over the Pool Champagne Fountain

After dinner, we go to the atrium for the Captain’s reception. The champagne glasses are stacked into a tower and bottles of, I hope, cheap champagne are poured into the topmost glass before spilling to the ones below. Passengers line up to “help” pour (they put their hand on the wrist of the real pourer and get a picture taken).

Next to the theater. The show is one of the best I have seen. High energy, and great dancing. The audience gives a standing ovation that has actually been earned (sometime I may wax philosophically about how standing ovations are given too easily, so that they lose meaning). As I exit the theater, I cough and break the seal for my hands free valve. Now, I am not complaining. This happens about 9:30 pm and the seal has held all day through heat and humidity and a shower, so it has more than done its job. I am tired and retire to my cabin.

Tuesday, October 27, 2009: On the way to Aruba

The ship rocks a little more as it makes headway to Aruba. In the morning, we have a scheduled meeting of WW cruisers who want to get together. When I arrive at the conference room, Steven Bishop is discussing health care in the UK and how the reality differs from the perception in the States. Dorothy and Tom Lennox talk about changes in Medicare that necessitated Luminaud, along with other vendors, to give up filing Medicare claims. Richard Crum is leading our discussion and we discuss what we like about cruising, where we would like to cruise, what we like about WebWhispers, how to encourage more people to become sustaining members, and then filled us in on the plans for the next IAL meeting in Southern Indiana. The location is excellent, close to the hospital, just across the river from Louisville, has a campground nearby and access to many places to see and things to do. Most importantly to many, it is affordable. I have stayed at a former incarnation of the hotel and have even attended a prosecutor’s convention there, many years ago. Southern Indiana is a lovely area. I am looking forward to the meeting and going to the area.

Lunch buffet has an oriental theme. Sushi, spring rolls, beef and broccoli, many other goodies. Pat, Peggy and I get some food. Ed Chapman joins us and we chat about WW and other things. We head up to Skywalkers Lounge to chat and wait for Peggy’s talk on shopping in the islands. After that, Pat says she “needs” ice cream, so off we go to the ice cream bar for a cold fix. The afternoon is spent reading by the pool and drinking iced tea.

I have a bit of a bone to pick with this cruise. They were not able to get all of us seated in the early dining so we ended up in anytime seating, held in a dining room that does not have assigned tables. Peggy has arranged for us to have three reserved tables at 5:30, so we can sit together and mingle each evening. I appreciate that there has to be a “B” team and that wait staff has to be trained. That does not lessen the problem that the waiters and staff we have are fairly poor by previous cruise standards. They are friendly enough, but not as attentive or knowledgeable as usual. They either do not know the food well or their lack of comprehension of English makes them poor communicators. The food is still quite good but the waiters leave something to be desired.

After dinner, I see the production number again along with the Chapmans, Yvette, Steve Bishop and Peggy. The show, once again, is great. After the show, the Chapmans, Yvette and I go to the Explorers Longue, have some drinks, watch the comedian, Cary Long who is quite funny. Then, bedtime.

Wednesday, October 28, 2009, Aruba

Author on a bus tour

There is a tour bus at 8:30. I shower, dress and meet people at breakfast, then, head down to the gangway to find our bus. We have 15 for our island tour. Aruba is 19 miles long and 6 miles wide and is relatively flat. While it has hills, it is a low island without tall peaks in the center. It is fairly arid and hosts a lot of cacti. Many homes have gravel yards. It is a pleasant island and our tour guide, Wendell, is very nice. He tells us the poor are subsidized by the government. The kingdom consists of three constituents: Holland, Aruba and the Netherlands Antilles. The local tongue is a mixture of Spanish, Dutch, English, French and whatever. Schools teach in Dutch. The government will pay for students to go to college in Holland or the United States. Our tour takes about four hours. It is hot but there is always a good breeze. There was once a gold mine on the island; still there, but no longer active. Any gold in it costs too much to dig. There is also a windmill. It was a gift of the queen of Holland but never worked. However, it is attractive and caps off a restaurant. The government is planning to build windmills to generate electricity. Given the way the wind blows, this should work quite well.


Windmill That Never Worked Chapel

After returning to the ship and lunch, I confess, that I take a nap. Dinner is nicer. The waiters and staff are improving. The service is good as is the food. I have the rack of veal. I am beginning to rethink veal, since this was really good. After dinner, we go to the Explorers Lounge and listen to the band for a while. The next big show is, again, excellent. It consists of a collection of oldies from the forties and fifties. The dancers add greatly to the enjoyment, a pleasant trip down memory lane. After the show, I head back to the Explorers Lounge. There I run into Betsy, my co-commissioner and her friends. I join them and listen to the band play seventies music. Pleasant. At 10:30 the hypnotist is on. She brings people on stage, puts them under and has fun with them. The show is very amusing.

Thursday, October 29, 2009: Bonaire in the morning.

I wake to stillness. We are docked in Bonaire for a half day. It is only slightly larger than Aruba. A shower, breakfast, and it is time to disembark for a morning of exploring and shopping. It is hot. I have worn my one white t-shirt, my “Bimbetta” shirt. It features a reclining pseudo classical nude lady reclining, wearing sun glasses and holding a bar bell. Now, Bimbetta is/was a great all female baroque singing group. They featured three singers, a keyboardist and a cellist. (If you don’t believe me, Google “Bimbetta” and look them up.) I have seen them perform twice. They are very talented, but have enough fun while performing to be not stuffy.

Bonaire Street

I walk into town. The obligatory shops line the streets. An open air group of stalls is also on the main road in. I look through stores to get an idea of what is available and work my way away from the port. I try to find a museum that I saw on a map, but forgot to bring the map (bad Terry). I cannot find it. I do get a view of the small city. It is hot. It is fairly early morning and it is hotter. I try to stay in the shade. Between the shade and the constant breeze, the heat is bearable. I run across the St. James Medical School. Next door is what appears to be a clinic. I won’t call it the St. James Infirmary, for fear that someone may smack me. Back to the main street. I buy t-shirts for friends and pseudo kids. I get great prices on shirts. I also buy a donkey shirt since part of the proceeds go to helping the donkeys on the island. It is getting hotter. I return to the ship for some iced tea. Hydration is good for the soul and the body.


School of Medicine Medical Center

After dinner, we see two of the singers and four of the dancers on Deck 5 in the Piazza. They are very nice and we tell them how much we appreciate their shows. We try to see the hypnotist, but, alas, the Explorers Lounge is too full and we cannot get in. It is too late to see the repeat of last night’s show, so we go to Fusion Lounge for a drink and watch a bit of the World Series. There is something fundamentally wrong with having the World Series at the end of October. I’ll drink to that!

Friday, October 30, 2009: Granada beckons

Morning and we are still out at sea. I rise, shower and join Pat and the others for breakfast. There seems to be a slight Japanese flavor to the breakfast buffet. There are egg sushi, and deep fried hardboiled eggs. I try one of those but it is not very good. Now if it were a Scotch egg it would be good, though not good for you, but it is just a deep fried boiled egg, and therefore, a bit dry. Oh well, I tried new things.

I am in heaven. This morning they are giving a tour of the theater. This puppy is an 18 million dollar state of the art facility. They have 120 intelligent lights in the theater (400 on the ship). Intelligent lights are like “several thousand dollars each” pieces of lighting that move and change color and are controlled by computer. (The theater in which I work has four and is lucky to be able to afford those.) The back curtains have fiber optics in them to give pin points of light and have LED lights that make the giant light boards that can be programmed and can even play DVDs. How cool is that. They are on two Princess ships, nowhere else at this time. The scenery moves by computer. In fact almost everything is run by computer. The backstage area is surprisingly roomy. (It has more room than the theater in which I presently work. I am jealous.) The backstage, with pit and fly space, extends from deck 4 through deck 10.


Makeup Mirrors Backstage

At 1 pm we head to the dock and find our excursion. I have to herd some of our members and we have to find Pat, Tom and Dorothy, Rick and Nova. My bus has air conditioning that decides not to work, so we use the old fashioned way, we open the windows. There is enough breeze to make this tolerable. We drive along the west coast of the island then cross into the center, up the mountain, before returning to the ship.

To say that Granada, “Gra-NAY-da” (At least that is how Sherman, our guide, pronounces it), has narrow roads is an understatement. I have been on driveways that are wider than some of the secondary roads. Our driver, toots the horn when he approaches a curve or hilltop. This is more than just a means of being friendly, it warns approaching cars and trucks. Many times, one vehicle or the other must pull to the side to let the other one get by. Granada is lush with vegetation. It grows many spices, nutmeg and mace (which is the covering of the nutmeg seed shell), cocoa, cinnamon, cloves, and bananas. The plantations on which the various trees grow are privately owned and worked. Granada is not arid like Aruba. The homes dot along the roads. Many are built on stilts to fit into the side of the mountains. This is not a particularly wealthy island. There are buildings, ruined by the 2004 hurricane, which have not been repaired or replaced.


Nutmeg Factory Overlooking the River

We get back to the ship in time to grab a shower, change clothes and go to dinner. I have to change my seal. I blew it when we stopped on top of the mountain to get a soda. While it did reseal on the way back, it broke again when I showered. Actually, I am impressed that my seals have been lasting as long as they have in this heat and humidity. Thank you, skin tac.

After dinner, I go to the theater and watch the illusionist. He and his lovely partner (who does a lot of the work) are entertaining. As part of audience participation, he gets Fred and Rachel Armani on stage. Fred is placed in a Guillotine and Rachel gets to pull the lever. Now, something told me to put my camera in my pocket tonight, so I got some pictures that did not turn out too badly, considering that they were taken at a distance with no flash. After the show, I grab some good sushi for a snack and head to my room to write and then relax.

Saturday, October 31, 2009, Dominica (and Halloween)

First, Dominica is beautiful. It is a nature preserve with people living in it. The island is volcanic and steam still rises in places. They even have a boiling lake (which we did not get to see, but I will take our guide’s word for it). We have a tour of the island to start at 9. As we wait for our tour, Ed Chapman comments that he is glad that we are not on the bus that has “driver training” on the side. Ed has jinxed us. That is our bus.


Waterfall Ship

Sampson, our driver, however, is anything but a student driver. He deftly maneuvers us through the narrow city streets and, at times, narrower rural roads. Our first stop is up a mountain to a waterfall. I decline climbing for 15 minutes to see the falls. Between the heat and the fact that uphill makes me short of breath, I decide to wait. When we leave the falls, I sit in the front passenger seat to get better shots. Up and down we drive. The island is lush. Mostly rain forest, but there is a part that is arid. Go figure. The islanders do not seem to be as poverty stricken as those in Granada and the homes are in better shape. The roads are still narrow. At times, one vehicle must stop to allow the approaching one to pass. Pot holes abound. Agriculture is strong, bananas, cocoa, avocados, coconut among other things are grown. A distillery makes rum. At the end of the 4 hour tour, it is raining. I try to tough it out and shop a bit, but it is too much even for me. I surrender and return to the ship.


Cake Witch

Dinner is rack of lamb. I am very happy. After dinner, I head to the theater to watch the juggler/comedian. He has some good moments. The Chapmans and the Armanis join me for the show. Before the show, crew members in costume roam the theater throwing out trinkets. At one point, the pirate (can you say “Arrrrrrrrrrrgh”) dumps some water on the Indian lass and the battle begins. After the show, I head to the piazza to see the Halloween celebration. Many people are in costume. The area is decorated with spider webs, carved pumpkins, and orange and black balloons suspend above everything. As I get on the elevator to go back to my cabin, Betsy and her friends come aboard shouting “trick or treat.” So, I hand out Twizzlers to everyone on the elevator (which probably exceeds the number of Twizzlers I would have handed out at home – not many trick or treaters in my neighborhood these days).

Sunday, November 1, 2009: St. Thomas.

All souls day (or is it all saints day? I get confused). I sleep in a bit (to 8), meet Pat and Peggy, the Blairs, the Armanis, and Steve at 9 to go into town and shop. We take a taxi ($4) to the shopping district. Peggy leads the way to diamonds and other treasures. Pat and I split off early and shop for t-shirt bargains. One store offers 4 for $18. We look, but continue shopping. Then we find the stalls. T-shirts 4 for $10. And they are of good quality. What a deal. We buy many. Soon, however, the heat is rising and we fade and return to the ship. We get iced tea in the buffet and I nosh on some melon. I think this is going to be one of those lazy days of reading and loafing around. About noon or one o’clock rain fell. The rain was light, but persistent. It did not last long and did cool things off. About dinner time, however, the skies became very dark. Now, it may be November, but it should not be as dark at 6:30 pm as it got. During dinner, the ship set sail and headed into the Atlantic. The ship started rolling a bit. The Atlantic is not as calm as the Caribbean.


Harbor Town


After dinner we head to the Princess Theater to see the third full production show. This is a new show called “Once Upon a Dream.” It is fabulous. The singers and dancers are top notch. What really blows me away, however, is the tech. The “scenery” is projected on white walls that have doors in them and that move about the stage. Nine projectors, which are controlled by computer, put the constantly changing scenery on the walls. I cannot describe the effect that it has. With the ship’s movement, you sometimes feel like you are moving in the scenes. I am jealous. I work at the best endowed community theater in Indianapolis (the Civic Theater is also the oldest community theater in the country) and they could only dream of tech like this. The show repeats two times tomorrow night, and I intend to see at least one of those performances. We are starting to wind down to the end.

Monday, November 2, 2009: A day at sea

This means it can be as relaxing or as activity filled as you desire. The ship always has things to do. Or, if you don’t want to do anything, well, that is your choice. So, to start my day at sea, I will jot down some collected observations, comments, rants, and advice to offer to cruisers.

First, the rants: when the ship is rolling along in the Atlantic, one way some people cope is to stay drunk. While this is not an advised way of coping, it was the choice of some large group down the way from my cabin. Not a wise choice. If you are in the buffet section, eating, please keep your shirt on and closed. This is especially true if you are over 50 and don’t have a great body (and not that many of us over 50 have great bodies). Nobody wants to see a wrinkled hairy chest in a restaurant. Similarly, if you don’t have the body for a bikini or speedo, don’t wear it by the pool. It is not a pretty sight. On your private balcony, we don’t care. Men, if you are on a tour and are going into a church, remove your hat/cap/head covering. I know that it is a third world island, but it is still a house of worship so please show some respect. (this rant originated in Aruba when we visited the oldest chapel on the island and as I was leaving [and putting my hat back on] I observed a group of men enter with their caps on, thinking nothing of it.

If you are lucky, you will get a room steward like Ruben, the one I had this trip. Ruben is one of the best room stewards I have had. He is friendly, but most important, he is quick in taking care of the room. I leave in the morning for breakfast and by the time I return the room has been cleaned and made ready. He keeps me in ice. Sounds like a little thing, but not every room steward I have had has been as good. Princess, keep Ruben, he does you proud. Passengers, if you get Ruben or one that good, leave him a little extra over the basic tip at the end of the cruise.

Take lots of pictures. Taking pictures through the windows of a moving tour bus can be tricky. You often get a reflection that you don’t want. You also get jarred around a lot, which throws your shot off. All I can say is with digital cameras, just keep clickin’. You will get some good ones.

Driving the roads in the islands is tricky and hairy. I like roller coasters, but they sometimes have nothing over driving island roads (except speed, you can’t go that fast on the islands). Speed bumps (or more accurately, speed islands in the road) make sure that people don’t go too fast. Pot holes accent that. With my lack of depth perception, I would have a hard time driving the islands. Pros like Wendell, Sherman and Sampson, make it look easy. They know what their bus can or cannot do. This is very important on narrow roads with a drop off on the side.


When the elevator door opens, wait for the people who are exiting to exit. It is common courtesy and really makes it easier for you to get on. Conversely, if you are exiting and people are waiting to get on, then get off quickly, or have the courtesy to hold the door open for them so they can get on before the doors slam shut. If you are waiting for an up elevator and a down elevator stops with only one floor below you, just get on. Remember, Heraclitus teaches us that “the way up and the way down are one and the same.” And, sometimes, the elevator will reverse itself and just go up because no one has punched the call button below.

Many use the day to get some sun, rest, visit, and finish books. At 4:30, Pat and Peggy host a cocktail party. It is in the Wheelhouse Lounge. Actually, it is in a sectioned off portion of the lounge. The party and space is quite nice and we are all there. We all drink, thanks to Pat and Peggy.

The Captains reception is tonight. Our invites say 6:15, but we will be eating at that time. Peggy calls to get the times changed. When she goes to the office, the peon at the desk tells her that 21 people cannot change times. This is a challenge to Peggy. I don’t plan to go to the party anyway. In the past, the drinks are weak and of poor quality, and I really want to see the production show again. I found out later that Peggy took some of the others with her and they were welcomed. Plenty of room and free drinks. But, I got a great seat in the theater. The show, once again, blows me away. By far, the production shows on this ship have been the best that I have seen. Princess is doing the arts proud by sponsoring shows of this quality. First, it gives singers and dancers good steady jobs to ply their art. Second, and perhaps as important, it gives techies good solid employment plying their art with equipment that is the best in the business. Theaters would kill to get what this theater has.

One more thing that I learned from Ruben: if you put the round soap on end on the soap indentation by the sink, it not only won’t roll around, but it will also not get gloopy on the bottom. A good trick.

Tuesday, November 3, 2009, Princess Cays

This is a small islet with a land bridge to the Bahamas that the line owns. It is secluded and secure. It is set for a fun day at the beach. There are cabanas, lounge chairs, even small chalet’s as Steve calls them. There are water sports and there is sand. The water is crystal clear. Peggy has a black key card indicating good rank in the realm of cruisers. This gets us to the top of the line for disembarking. The tender boats line up, fill with cruisers and whisk us to shore. While it is hot, a breeze does blow and there are areas with shade and seats. There is even an area for children that has sand, a wading pool, and an area with awnings giving shade so that the kids don’t get too much sun. Peggy snorkels. Steve and I don’t (that silly drowning thing). We do walk the area. I last about 2 hours and then return to the ship, hot and a bit soaked.


The Only Shade Ready to Scuba

Pat and I go to the Internet café to print out boarding passes for several of the group who were flying Southwest. I am a bit early, so I return later and get mine. I do pack my bags to be ready for departure tomorrow. We have to sit the bags that are to be picked up outside the door before we go to dinner. We must be careful not to pack anything we may need overnight or the next morning. The final meal has us all recounting the days and the trip. This has been a good group with which to travel. We have continued our friendships. We are looking forward to the next cruise and to the IAL meeting in Southern Indiana next summer.

Wednesday, November 4, 2009: The way back home

Six a.m. comes early. It is not really light but the sun is starting to rise. I shower, shave, dress and put the last items in my small carry-on bag. My 2 large bags would be ready for disembarkation by now.

Peggy and I go to the buffet for a last breakfast. Pat is already there. Steve joins us. We have a final breakfast (they have corned beef hash) and say our farewells. At 8:05 I am to be in the Explorers Lounge to get my permission to leave the ship. I get there a little late as the elevators are packed. I hear “Orange 5” being called. I am “Orange 4.” The announcer says that Orange 4 has been called, so go. I walk the two flights down and punch out my key card one last time. My bags are ready and a baggage helper is right there to help me. Customs is a breeze and I am out. Or, at least, so I think. Things have been too smooth. The transfer to the airport makes up for it. The bus situation is a bit chaotic, to say the least. We are moved, then told to move back. It is hot. The people there shout at us. I get a bit irate. The love boat doesn’t work so well if you irritate everyone when they are in the final leaving process.

At the airport, it is, again, hurry up and wait. When I get to Southwest’s counter, I find that we have to wait a bit to check our luggage (4 hours prior to flight time). So, I sit with Betsy and her group before I check my bags and get to the gate. Fort Lauderdale airport does have free Internet access, and stations to use, so I check my e-mails. Over 150 messages, and I had been on the one-a-day digest for WW traffic. I read and get it cleaned out a bit.

We fly to Baltimore to catch a plane to Indy. In Baltimore, we find that our connecting flight is delay of a bit more than an hour. The Baltimore airport does not have free WiFi, so I am stuck. We walk, end up talking with two teachers who are traveling to Indy for a convention. Finally, Southwest quickly gets us loaded and off the ground. We arrive in Indy only 30 to 45 minutes later than we originally were to land. I call my friend who is picking me up and go to baggage claim. My bags are among the first on the conveyer.


I will be glad to be home. Tomorrow, I have taken the day off and I can sleep in and do massive amounts of laundry. The trip was a success.

September 2010 – Alaska






ES: Air Intake with a Sniff and a Click

This month we will cover the third air intake method referred to as “inhalation”. Pre op we drew breath in for speech in this way without paying much attention to the action that some describe as, “just a little sniff”. Post op we can do some of the same behavior drawing in the air from the mouth and nose only. For this method to work requires two steps that need to be coordinated. The sphincter at the top of the esophagus has to open, breaking the negative air vacuum in the esophagus. With a click this opening draws air into the top 1/3 of the esophagus and a little tightening of the abdominal muscles sends sound out.

Let’s set the stage for you to try this as an exercise first. Swallow a couple of times to clear your mouth and esophagus of saliva before you begin this exercise. Open your mouth as if you are yawning. Tongue is down and remains there throughout this maneuver. Your head may go up and back a bit as if you were surprised enough to gasp. When you know how to do this, a sniff will do the trick. Remember you’ll know the top of the esophagus opened when you hear the click sound. The use of a microphone will help you hear this sound so you know you did it right. If you have trouble hearing the sss, fff, or th sounds the microphone may be needed to boost this very soft sound. Once you hear the click you can say ahh, or ohh. It may take a few tries before you get it to work, at first. Don’t be discouraged. You’re teaching your body to do a new trick with old tools. Once you know how use this exercise repeatedly practice: 1) Sniff 2) Click 3) Ahh.

When you master this technique no one will know you just moved enough air into your esophagus to say a word or phrase that starts with a vowel. Some use inhalation as their primary means of air intake for esophageal speech. It appears to be so natural. It looks the same as the body language we used as we prepared to speak pre op. Most esophageal speakers use all three methods of air intake interchangeably (consonant injection, tongue press, and inhalation) as needed. The tongue press is probably the most used method. While practicing vowel strings use the tongue press to build up to 5 or 6 sets of vowels on one air charge. Please note: this refers to only air in the esophagus when talking about “one air charge” and not one breath as used for inhalation of air to the lungs.
Here is a little research taken from the transcript of a lecture at Mayo Clinic by Shirley J. Salmon, PhD, regarding “The Air Reservoir for Esophageal Speech”.

  • The capacity of the esophagus has been estimated by van den Berg and Moolenaar-Bijl (1959) to be approximately 80 cc of air. That’s about five tablespoon.
  • Most investigators seem to believe that only the upper one-third of the esophagus is inflated during air intake by good, or superior esophageal speakers.
  • These observations appear to be supported by Snidecor and Isshiki (1965), who have also reported that the volume of air used by esophageal speakers during continuous speech is approximately one tablespoon. Incidentally, the study by Snidecor and Isshiki is one of several that negates the idea that the process for swallowing is similar to that for air injection. So we should be careful to avoid the word “swallow” in our instructions for air intake.

Here’s another hint, especially for TEP users who want to try ES. The best EL users have already learned this trick. We stop breathing for the few seconds it takes to speak a few words or a sentence. You breathe when you are not speaking. The stoma blast noise is enough to override your articulation so your enunciation may be less intelligible. Another reason to work on this skill is that trying to use lung air for ES will tighten the neck and shoulder muscles that must be kept as relaxed as possible while speaking. This allows the esophageal walls to vibrate and the sphincter to open on cue easily. When you had a larynx the reverse was true. You tighten up and pushed the air up and out to vibrate the vocal cords. Trying to use lung air for ES post op will surely shut your voice down in a heartbeat… every time.

When you can’t make an ES sound check for stoma breathing while trying to speak. Change your posture; lean forward or back in the chair. Elbows off the table or chair arms will help take the tension off the shoulders. Take a break. Walk around. Do something else for a while before you try ES again. When you sit to talk it is best to sit upright and relaxed. You can also try turning your head slightly to the right or left as that may improve your pitch and volume with no effort on your part.

The inhalation method is not difficult to learn. After many lectures given by my mentors on all three methods of air intake, observing demonstrations to learn how to identify which method of air intake the client was using, and reading a good deal about this topic, I still hadn’t learned how to model and teach the inhalation technique. The need to do so arose while I was working with a fellow whose head literally sat on his shoulders. There was almost no neck at all. There was so little space that he had trouble with EL placement. ES seemed to be the answer, but when he tried to use tongue press or consonant injection for air intake he would gag. Using less air for softer voice helped a bit. I called one of my mentors, James C. Shanks, PhD, for backup to solve this dilemma with inhalation. Within a few minutes on the phone he taught me how to achieve the “click” and say “ahh”. Then I turned to my client and shared what I had just learned. When he left my office we had solved his gag problem, and he was speaking in longer phrases. He was soon able to shift to ES as his primary means of speech instead of struggling to be understood with his EL.

I guess word got around that I could now teach the inhalation technique because I had speech therapists asking me to coach them so they could share it with their clients. The most often asked question was, “How do you describe the technique so they understand what they’re trying to do?” The best answer I could give them is to observe what the client does and you’ll see where to begin. While teaching online I usually let the student tell me what they do to take air in with inhalation. “I sniff with my mouth open ”. That is where we usually begin. Give it a try today.

Elizabeth Finchem





Support and Survival

by Ronda Kirk

On the weekend of November 6th-8th, I walked in my second Breast Cancer 3-Day walk. It was an amazing experience. To participate, you must raise $2,300.00 in donations. I had raised my money by June when it was time to become serious about training for the event. I would walk on the weekends at Baylor on the Bear Trail. The trail is 2.25 miles around the campus and is a great place to walk. During the week, I would walk either five-six miles a day on a treadmill or around our neighborhood. I would often walk with my husband, Carl, alone or with various members of Team Waco. Our team consisted of six members from the Waco area. Three of us are breast cancer survivors.

Day 1, November 6th. The day begins at 3:00 a.m. so we are ready to leave the hotel in Plano to travel to the Plano Center where the opening ceremonies would be held. We arrived at the Center by 4:30 a.m., dropped off luggage at the gear truck and then walked around waiting for the ceremonies to begin. At 7:00 a.m., the Opening Ceremonies and the walk begin. My walking partner, Debbie Dunham, and I are both breast cancer survivors. Debbie is walking in her 3rd 3-Day. We are having problems at the beginning because our feet are so cold, and we are not able to feel our toes! By the time we arrive at lunch, our feet are thawed out.

As you are walking, there are cheering stations to motivate you along the route. The first day, we go past three schools. The students were outside with home-made signs and pink pom-poms telling us we were great and to keep going. The schools were decorated with banners and pink ribbons tied around the trees! Cars and vans, decorated with bras and interesting sayings, would go by and honk to keep us motivated. This went on for the entire three days. We would always laugh and it would give us a pick-up to keep on going!

Every two-three miles, you encounter a Pit Stop. These have port-a-potty! You are encouraged to drink 32 oz. of water or sports drink, in between each pit stop. The potty's look so good when you come into the stops. In addition to drinking fluids, the stops have fresh fruit, bagels, animal crackers, pretzels, peanuts, potato chips and peanut butter sandwiches to keep salt in your body. I would not always get something to eat, but I was filling my water bottle at every pit stop. We have to walk 12.1 miles for lunch on the first day. I was hungry and enjoyed the chicken sandwich.

We "camped" at Brookhaven College in Dallas. As we were arriving there on the first afternoon, a lot of folks were outside cheering us into camp. Four little girls were spraying us with deodorant as we walked by. It actually felt good! We arrive at camp having walked 20.2 miles. Debbie and I have our picture taken at the sign saying Day One is complete, gather our gear and go pitch our pink, pup tent! Supper on the first night is always spaghetti. Team Waco enjoyed the pasta. We are tired; showers are taken and we all go to bed by 8:30 p.m.

Day 2 begins and Debbie and I are on the trail when it opens at 6:50 a.m. We keep up the pace and are encouraged to see our families at the first cheering station. Carl is holding a sign that says "5 years of miracles!" My son, Colby, a High School Junior in Waco, is waving to all that go by. Just those few minutes with them makes the next several miles much easier. Day 2 lunch is at 11.5 miles. Once again, we get to see families at the 14 mile cheering station. Colby massaged my feet while I dumped small pebbles out of my shoes.

I completed Day 2, 20.2 miles, again in the early afternoon. We were in camp each day no later than 3:30. The 3-Day brings in these large trailers that have showers and we go to the shower trailers before dinner. The water pressure is wonderful and there is always HOT water. It feels wonderful. Since Debbie and I are both survivors, we go to the Survivor Boutique to bathe. It has six private showers. We sit in chairs and play musical chairs until we are the next one to shower. It is fun to sit and talk and hear other's "war" stories.

After dinner, we all go and play BINGO in the New Balance tent. None of Team Waco won the big prize, but we all won small things. It was fun and we forgot for a while that we were tired! Once again, we were all ready to go back to our tents and sleep! Day 3 begins at 5:00 a.m. We must take down our tent, pack up our gear and take it to be loaded on the gear trucks. We then get to eat breakfast, after which, we are bused close to the Highland Park area where our walk begins today.

We walk through the neighborhoods that are decorated so well for the fall season. Families are in their front yards handing out granola bars, candy, water, Gatorade and tell us what an awesome job we are doing...I get to see Carl and Colby at the first Cheering Station around 9:30 a.m. Once again, it was wonderful motivation to keep going! There were so many people all along the route on Day 3, it was so good. Lunch was at 9 miles today and we were very close to West End. I found Carl and Colby outside of Spaghetti Warehouse. I sat down and Carl's lawn chair broke and I broke my sunglasses!

I once again, completed and walked 60 miles! At the end, I have one small blister on the little toe of my left foot! Closing Ceremonies was held at Fair Park and it was fabulous to walk through the gates. I was given my pink, Survivor Victory Shirt. The Ceremonies began at 4:30 and the Survivors walk in last to all the cheers of the fellow walkers and the people who were attending. It still gives me chills to think of how wonderful those cheers sounded!

As we all know, Everything is Bigger in Texas! The DFW 3-Day Walk raised $7.5 million dollars this year. This is a lot of money to be used for breast cancer research. 3,900 people were registered for this walk. I'm not sure how many really walked. We were told around 300 men did the walk and over 200 survivors! Great numbers... I will do this for a third time, but I'm not sure if it will be next year. I appreciate all of my donors and supporters!

Someday, there will be a cure!

Ronda Kirk


This is the account of the 60 mile walk that my granddaughter, Ronda Kirk, made in Dallas. She had stage 4 breast cancer five years ago and was treated at M D Anderson in Houston. Her husband, Carl, whose boss always made it possible for him to take off work, drove her there every Friday for forty weeks for Chemo and Herceptin treatments. She teaches school in Waco and volunteers would teach her classes each Friday.

I am so proud of her and so thankful for her recovery. God has blessed the whole family.

Nell Davis - Elgin, Texas
WebWhispers member and lary since 1996


(In 2010, the Breast Cancer 3-Day will become the Susan G. Komen 3-Day for the Cure™. It's the same bold event with the same incredible spirit under a new banner that brings it closer into the fold of the Susan G. Komen for the Cure® family of events.)





In October, Pat Wertz Sanders wrote in her column about grimacing and facial expressions. I had thought some time ago, how like actors we Larys do become, all secretly longing to once again speak with a human voice, with those words emerging with a resonance and magic like quality. Wouldn't it be just like a beautiful piece of music to our ears! I was passing an acting academy shortly afterwards, when they were doing auditions for new students, and how I wished I could have joined them. However, on reaching home, I sat down and let my imagination run riot. I composed this poem, in that I had joined them, before they discovered that I was speechless.



By Len A. Hynds


' FACIAL EXPRESSIONS ' the test card read,
as I entered the room on my own.
The long line of judges, peered in dread,
at this novice, they'd like to disown.

Firing orders, each in their turn,
making me change my poor face.
This way, that way, " Why can't you learn
to act with a little more grace?"

"Look bashful" "Regretful" "Blissful too",
"Embarrassed" "Anxious" and "Shocked".
"Happy" then "Guilty", "Innocent" "True".
Then, "Stupid, your foolish mind blocked".

"Brave" "Lonely" "Horrified" "Hot".
"Paranoid" "Pained" and "Perplexed".
Variety, that is an actor's lot,
try not to look so vexed.

"Angry" "Envious" "Slightly demure",
" Cautious" "Bored" and then, "Proud".
" Placid" "Angelic" and "Facially pure".
Then, "Look like you're singing out loud".

"Confident" "Smiling" then, "A lovesick fool".
This no doubt is the strangest school.
Hooray ! I've passed, I'm no acting freak,
but they've discovered I cannot speak!


In the Ashford Laryngectomee Club, we have three Nursing Sisters of the ENT ( Rotary ) Ward, who take an active part, Margaret, Barbara ( Babs), and Caroline. They are all marvelous. This poem was read out to Nursing Sister Babs Wagstaff, by one of the Lary wives at a club meeting, and she had to leave the room, with tears in her eyes. I call it.........


By Len A. Hynds

In that dream like state, twix't life and death,
I pondered my fate, as I fought for breath.
My life passed before me, as the doctors they tried,
to kill all the cancer, with nowhere to hide.

Such skills they had, as they saved my life.
Such joy they caused, to my poor suffering wife.
No more to hear, " Goodbye old friend,"
as back to that haven, to Rotary to mend.

I knew that angels, had been so near,
singing so softly to banish my fears.
Some followed me, back to my room,
and now so familiar, in the vanishing gloom.

As I opened my eyes, feeling so weak,
wired and tubed, and unable to speak,
an angel spoke, " Hello my sweetheart,
this is the first day, that your new life will start."

That angel was Babs, our Sister Wagstaff,
that nurse who can make, just anyone laugh.
Such genuine kindness, is hard to find.
Love for her patients, is what comes to mind.

So thank-you Babs, for just being there.
Thank-you for, your nursing care.
Thank-you for " Hello sweetheart."
Thanks to the team, of which you are part.

I know I write, for Oh! so many,
this speechless poet, without a penny,
but who needs money, with friends like you,
when everyday you make life new!






Dear Pat,

I thought I would share this neat experience with you all. After spending Saturday night at the cabin up north in Clare County, Michigan, my wife, Elaine, asked if we were going to have breakfast before heading back home. I suggested we find something on the road. We pulled into the small town of Clare, thirty miles down the expressway and looked for a restaurant where the locals eat.

No McBurger King or Wendy's for me! I wanted the flavor of the small town complete with the old building built back in the 1920's. We found the Whitehouse Restaurant on Main Street and learned it had been there since 1927. It is a small place, only has six booths, set up like a diner. It is pretty cramped and the solid wood booths are plain and stark with no padding. But this place was like a time capsule, going back to the 1920's! Old Coke signs and the hand written menu on the wall: ice cream, hot dogs, hamburgers, sodas and a list of homemade pies.

The service was slow, but I did not mind. We just sat and took everything in. After a twenty minute wait, breakfast was served with a smile and warm up of coffee. Eggs, toast, the fried potatoes I shared with my wife Elaine were all good!

We walked outside on to the sidewalk and took these pictures.



I was struck by the movie theather marquee. It is still in use today; the theater inside, I was told, has been restored back to its original condition. I thought, “Wow, it looks just like the movie theater I went to at the 25 cent Saturdays matinee as a kid”. All the happy memories came flowing past me faster then the wind blowing at my back. Going to movies for the first time with my older brother, standing in the long line, the ticket taker at the red velveteen ropes, the pop corn machine at the counter, buying a box of candy to carry to your seat, flipping the seat down to sit and then watching the lights turn down and the movie finally starting! The credits on the screen took too long before the movie, alas, but finally the movie started and it was well worth the wait.

I thought about all the happy times and experiences that old theater had brought to this small town. It had its original Marquee and was still showing movies. It sure made me stop and think, life is GOOD.
Hope you get a chance to see these pictures.

Blue skies,

Feb 11 2008




Welcome To Our New Members:


I would like to extend a "Warm Welcome" to our most recently accepted laryngectomees, caregivers, vendors, and professionals who have joined our WebWhispers community within this past month. There is a great wealth of knowledge and information to be accessed and obtained from our website, email lists, and newsletters. If ever there should be questions, concerns or suggestions, please feel free to submit them to us from the "Contacts" page of our website.


Thanks and best wishes to all,


Michael Csapo

VP Internet Activities

WebWhispers, Inc.


We welcome the 19 new members who joined us during November 2009:


Brianne Bowker - (SLP)
Seattle, WA
Robin A. Caldwell
Dickinson, TX
Alvin Earl Chapman
Henderson, TX
H. Michael Clark
Pembroke Pines, FL
Curt Culbert
Pitt Meadows, CAN
Werner Hamscher
Webster, TX
Sharon Herrell
Henderson, KY
Jennifer Ireland - (SLP)
Mankato, MN
Grace McBride
Co Donegal, Ireland
Peter Reitzes - (SLP)
Brooklyn, NY
Frances Rihner
West Monroe, LA
Jan Schucker
Sqaw Valley, CA
Pamela Shuff - (Caregiver)
West Monroe, LA
Gary Sorensen
Winslow, AZ
Jerry Trabue
Goodview, VA
Ashely Wadkins - (Caregiver)
Lamont, CA
Margaret Wakeman
Gloucester, MA
John Yannuzzi
Binghamton, NY
Lynda Yannuzzi - (Caregiver)
Binghamton, NY


WebWhispers is an Internet based support group. Please check our home page for information about the WebWhispers group, our email lists, membership, or officers.
For newsletter questions, comments or contributions, please write to
           Managing Editor - Pat Wertz Sanders
           Editor - Donna McGary
           Webmaster - Len Librizzi



The information offered via WebWhispers is not intended as a substitute for professional medical help or advice but is to be used only as an aid in understanding current medical knowledge. A physician should always be consulted for any health problem or medical condition. The statements, comments, and/or opinions expressed in the articles in Whispers on the Web are those of the authors only and are not to be construed as those of the WebWhispers management, its general membership, or this newsletter's editorial staff.
As a charitable organization, as described in IRS § 501(c)(3), the WebWhispers Nu-Voice Club
is eligible to receive tax-deductible contributions in accordance with IRS § 170.
  © 2009 WebWhispers
Reprinting/Copying Instructions can be found on our WotW/Journal Index.


The move off from age homogeneity on the Doudoune Moncler Outlet reflects AN industry-wide shift within which major labels square measure casting older models in campaigns during a bid to embrace all Ray Ban Pas Cher ages and to indicate that older girls square measure the maximum amount a part of the oral communication as young Cheap Moncler Womens Sale. we have a tendency to saw the same vary of ages on show at Dries Van Noten in February, once Amber national capital, 43, Erin O Connor, thirty-nine and Moncler Outlet Italia spud, 42, breezed down the runway to celebrate the brand is one Louboutin Pumps Outlet fashion show. For his fiftieth day show, Ralph Lauren Clearance Sale took a cross-generational approach, championing the brand is family attractiveness by causing adult models down the runway aboard kids.

The distinctive and trendy coach outlet returns in 2 earth-toned colorways -Clear Brown/Crystal White and Brown/Raw Desert-Crystal. each pairs of the Kamanda Brown Nike Womens Running Shoes Sale feature a premium nubuck higher with whit leather heel tabs. The silhouette is signature gum-colored moncler outlet sole, that could be a riff of the Samba is tread pattern, completes the planning. As fall beckons and cooler climate is finally on the horizon, Doudoune Moncler Pas Cher is preparation a slew of recent season-appropriate colorways of the usually unseen radical Boost middle.

Following months of anticipation, the Sonic The Hedgehog X Sonic The Hedgehog X Puma Rs-0 Mens T-shirt Rs-0 Mens T-shirt - Black/multi one is currently one among the foremost exciting new 3 stripes sneakers of the year. Trending upwards since its debut, anticipation continues to make with a Cheap Ray Ban Sunglasses collaboration on the means and this new Canada Goose Outlet. coated in premium suede and mesh materials, this noir centered try is expected to unleash later this fall aboard alternative Yung one colorways of an season volition. A deviation of the Rolex Replica Watches, take a more in-depth check out the adidas Yung one Triple Black below and expect pairs at Calvin Klein Mens Boxer Briefs for $120 presently.

Although it sold out slowly, the Okaley Sunglasses Outlet five hundred Utility Black eventually went off the shelves. perhaps this Salt colorway, that is near the 350 Moonrock, can do higher. It releases in Gregorian calendar month. The second colorway which will unharness for the Replica Ray Ban Wholesale On Sale series is that the Mauve with lime inexperienced hits on the only real. it's just like the inverted colorway of OG combine. The Nike Air Max 2017 Sale Mens with the clear stripe look additional sort of a works malfunction than a resourceful style. So far, 2 colorways are leaked, a Cream White one and Static we have a tendency to perceive the filmy shoe trend is in, however not like this Kanye.